What You Should Do If You Slip and Fall on Ice on Someone’s Property

What You Should Do If You Slip and Fall on Ice on Someone’s Property

Personal Injury AttorneyWinter brings with it snow, which accumulates on pavements, melts and becomes a hazard for the unwary. However, if you slip, fall and sustain injuries on someone’s property, you can file a lawsuit against them for negligence.

Who Is Responsible?

According to the Premise Liability Law, the owner of the property or anyone who controls access to it (such as a construction crew that is working on a project or tenants) is liable for any accidents that occur on it. They have a duty of care, which makes them responsible for the safety of everyone they invite on the property, as well as trespassers.

It stands to reason they also are liable for any injuries the other party sustains if they slip and fall on the premises. If that duty of care is not met, the injured individuals can take legal action and the owner must compensate them by paying damages and ensuring their properties are safe for others. During winter, this means they should ensure snow does not pile up on the premises to the point it leads to accidents.

What You Need to Do if You Are Involved in a Slip and Fall Accident

The first thing you need to do if you slip and fall on someone’s property is to visit a doctor – even if you think your injuries are minor. This is a good way to strengthen your case and your health at the same time. Some injuries can worsen if they are not treated on time and compromise the healing process. Plus, if you fail to do this or delay the medical aid, the negligent party may not be held accountable for your injuries.

Once your checkup is complete, make sure you keep the hospital bills and reports with you because they can be used to strengthen your case. With the appropriate documentation, your attorney can prove your injuries and subsequent trauma were the direct result of the property owner’s negligence.

How the Law Offices of Robert T. Edens Can Help

Personal Injury Attorney

If you slipped, fell and sustained injuries on a property in Chicago, Waukegan, Libertyville, Woodstock, or Antioch, you deserve compensation for the pain, lost wages, and emotional turmoil you are going through. The law offices of Robert T. Edens has been protecting and fighting for victims just like you for 20 years. Get in touch with us today for a consultation.

Call today for a free consultation

(847) 395-2200