What to Do After a Car Accident in Illinois

What to Do After a Car Accident in Illinois

Auto Accident AttorneyA car accident can throw you for a loop, especially if you or your loved ones are injured. However, you can receive compensation for injuries and damages sustained if you remain calm. Here are some things you can do after an accident to maximize your claim and prevent more injuries.

Help Yourself and Others Involved in the Accident

If you are not seriously injured, help your passengers and yourself by stepping away from the crash site. After that, call 911, inform them of the situation and let them know if anyone is seriously injured. If the vehicles involved in the crash are not seriously damaged, move them to the side of the road to prevent another accident from oncoming vehicles.

Gather Evidence and Information

Once you step out of the car, immediately start gathering evidence or information. According to Illinois law, you need to exchange the following information with the driver of the other vehicle(s):

  • Names of the drivers and the owners of the car
  • Home addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • Insurance information
  • License and registration of the vehicle involved in the accident

File an Accident Report with the Police

Once police arrive at the scene of the accident, they will fill out and create an Illinois Motorist Crash Report by talking to you and other driver(s). Make sure information you give them is accurate. This is necessary because you will receive a copy of the report, which your insurance provider will need to prove your claim.

If police are not dispatched, you can file the report yourself online if the apparent damage amounts to $1,500 or more. However, if one of the drivers does not have insurance, you can report the incident if damages amount to $500 or more.

Heed the Statute of Limitations

According to Illinois law, you have two years to file for damages from the accident or forfeit your right to them. In fact, you can even be charged if you don’t do this – whether you were a pedestrian or if you were riding a scooter, bicycle, motorcycle or car during the accident.

Personal Injury Attorney

However, depending on the vehicles involved in the crash, you may have to contend with different charges. This is where the Law Offices of Robert T. Eden come into the picture. We will have a team of professional and experienced auto accident attorneys working on your case from the time of the accident. We provide legal services in Chicago, Waukegan, Libertyville, Woodstock and Antioch, Illinois. Get in touch with us today for a consultation and get the compensation you deserve.

Call today for a free consultation

(847) 395-2200