How You Can Stop Your Car if the Brakes Fail

How You Can Stop Your Car if the Brakes Fail

auto accident attorneyImagine you are traveling at the maximum speed limit on the freeway and when you put your foot on the brakes – nothing happens. Your heart will start beating fast and you’ll start to panic. However, you can prevent a serious accident by following these tips.

Get Out of The Way of Traffic

Other drivers don’t know your brakes have failed so they won’t know you are in distress. Signal left or right if you want to switch lanes and try to ease into a gap. Try to maneuver your vehicle to the shoulder of the road, which is where you are least likely to be hit by oncoming traffic.

Pump the Brakes and Turn on Your Hazard Lights

If the brake pedal goes all the way down to the floor, pump it a few times and then push it all the way to the floor. It may slow down the car a bit. Turn on your hazard lights as well to warn other drivers to proceed with caution and to pay attention to what your vehicle is doing.

Take Your Foot Off the Gas

Take your foot off the gas to slow down your vehicle with gravity and friction. Also – if your cruise control is engaged, switch it off. It should turn off automatically as soon as you touch the clutch or the brake, but better to be safe than sorry.

Shift into a Lower Gear

If you are driving a manual vehicle, press the clutch and downshift into the next lowest gear to slow down the car. Do not ease up, even if you feel it slowing down. If you are driving an automatic car, shift to second gear with the gear selector and then to first gear.

Pull Over

Once the car has slowed down enough to ensure it won’t roll when you change directions, look for a place off-road to pull over. Your aim should be to limit the damage as much as possible so getting off the main road if your priority. If you find it, pull over to the shoulder onto a patch of dirt or grass.

Personal Injury Attorney

Besides brake failure, negligent drivers can also cause serious harm to you and your vehicle. If you have been involved in an accident and the at-fault driver refuses to pay damages, get in touch with us at the Law Firm of Robert T. Edens today. We offer our services in Chicago, Waukegan, Woodstock, Libertyville, and Antioch, IL.

Call today for a free consultation

(847) 395-2200