How to Get Compensated for a Car Accident in Grayslake

How to Get Compensated for a Car Accident in Grayslake

grayslake car accidentA car accident can be devastating, especially if the insurance company or the other driver refuses to pay you for damages. However, you may sabotage your chances for compensation if you fail to follow proper protocols post-accident.

What You Should Do To Get Compensated After A Grayslake Car Accident

Here are some things you should do right after a car accident to ensure you can recover maximum damages.

Stop Your Vehicle

If another car hits your vehicle, stop immediately and move away from traffic. If you leave, you may be charged with a crime and may even lose your driver’s license. A hit-and-run accident that only results in damages can also land you in jail. You may also have to pay a hefty fine amounting to $2,500. If the accident caused injuries or proved fatal, you can be charged with a felony and face years in jail.

Contact The Police

Once you park your vehicle in a safe spot, contact the police and ask them to make an accident report. Do not wait. If the accident results in injuries or proves fatal for any individual, call the police within half an hour tops. You may lose your license otherwise.

Provide Essential Information

You need to provide the following information to the other driver to get compensation if you are eligible for it. This includes:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • The license plate number of your vehicle

Types Of Damages You Can Recover From A Grayslake Car Accident

If you follow the tips mentioned above, your car accident lawyer in Grayslake can ensure you get the maximum compensation possible for your claim. You can seek two types of damages.

Economic damages

This includes tangible and objective losses that result from the accident. These damages can take the form of medical expenses, wages you lose as you recover from your injuries, property damage, physical therapy, and even transportation.

Non-economic damages

Non-economic damages include non-monetary losses. Some examples include depression, stress, loss of future earning abilities, loss of enjoyment in life, disfigurement due to injuries, and physical/mental suffering.

In Illinois, you have at least two years to file your lawsuit if you are denied compensation by your insurance company or the other driver. If your case involves a government agency or a city, you have one year to file the claim or forfeit compensation. The deadline may seem restrictive, but it is essential for preserving witness testimonies and evidence.

Calculating damages for a Grayslake car accident can be a challenge, but not if you have a skilled attorney such as Robert Edens in your corner. He can help you determine the damages you are eligible for and the settlement offer you can get.

The Law Offices of Robert T. Edens will handle everything, so you don’t have to. Robert and his team of dedicated car accident lawyers in Grayslake have been fighting for the rights of personal injury victims for more than two decades. Get in touch with Robert for a consultation today. Delays can make you lose the compensation you rightly deserve.

Call today for a free consultation

(847) 395-2200