Attorney Robert Edens Auto, Motorcycle and Other Vehicle Accident Representation. The Call is Free, The Advice Might Be Priceless
The question of whether or not a minor can be sued does not have a straight forward answer. It is not as simple as the question “can you enforce a contract with a minor?” Which is a simple no.
Laws vary from state to state. According to the Illinois State Bar Association the first distinction is the age of majority vs. the age of a minor. It varies for individual situations. For example, a person 18 years of age is able to vote, join the military, enter into contracts but not purchase or consume alcohol. Additionally, a 16 year old who has obtained a driver’s license can be held responsible for injuries or property damages if they are found to be at fault for a car accident.
However, in any case in which a minor cannot be sued, their parent(s) or the person that is legally responsible for them can be, and often is. If you, or your minor child, has had a civil lawsuit filed against them, I highly suggest consulting an attorney. This is a gray area of the law and you need an experienced attorney to protect the rights of both the minor child and their guardian(s). Please call me for a free case evaluation today.
FREE PERSONAL INJURY LAW BOOK FOR ACCIDENT VICTIMS
The Rule of 5′s and How THEY will Sabotage Your Case™
An Essential Guide For the Personal Injury VictimsAward Winning Author and Attorney Bob Edens’ Book, “The Rule of 5’s and How THEY Will Sabotage Your Case,” ™ is a Step-by-Step Guide for Personal Injury Victims
In The Rule of 5’s and How THEY Will Sabotage Your Case,™ Bob explains the ins and outs of the injury claims process from the time of injury to the time of settlement or trial. Bob provides basic facts about:
- The filing of the claim and negotiation from start to finish.
- How to negotiate a settlement for injuries sustained from a wide variety of cases including all types of auto accidents, dog bite cases, pedestrian cases, etc.
- Tips on how to deal with adjusters and avoiding the pitfalls and traps they hope you fall into.
- Tips on how to determine the value of your injuries.
- An overview of questions and legal issues that most personal injury victims have.